A man who has worked in the adult entertainment industry for years allegedly trafficked a woman into Australia and forced her into sex work in a Canberra brothel, a court heard on Thursday.
Bradley Lester Grey, 53, was arrested earlier this week after ACT and NSW police raided the Moonlight Gentleman's Club in Auburn, NSW.
Bradley Lester Grey, 53, who is accused of human trafficking, is walked into City Police Station on Wednesday. Photo: ACT Policing
He was extradited from Sydney to Canberra charged with human trafficking, forced labour and breaking immigration law, as well as raping and committing an indecent act on the woman it's alleged he trafficked into Australia for sex work.
The offences all relate to the one alleged victim, but prosecutors told the court there were more possible victims who police were aware of, but who were reluctant to speak out.
Following the Auburn raid, two women who were not Australian citizens were taken to the Villawood detention centre, the court heard.
At his appearance in the ACT Magistrates Court on Thursday Mr Grey made an application to be released on bail.
But prosecutors opposed his release, saying he posed a risk of reoffending, interfering with witnesses and not appearing at court.
Legal Aid duty lawyer Hugh Jorgensen told the court Mr Grey lived in Sydney and was employed at the Moonlight Gentlemen's Club in Auburn.
He had worked at two licensed brothels in Canberra before they folded, he said.
Mr Jorgensen said the man had a rental property in Sydney to return to, and a limited criminal history.
He said Mr Grey denied allegations he "somehow procured [the woman's] entry to the country," and the man did not know where the woman now lived.
Jane Campbell, from the ACT Director of Public Prosecutions office, said the victims were in extreme fear about their lifestyle choices being exposed, as the man still had access to their photographs.
She said the alleged victims and witnesses were particularly vulnerable, and feared Mr Grey would carry out alleged threats to expose them in the sex industry.
Magistrate Karen Fryar refused the man bail, noting in particular allegations he had warned workers not to contact authorities and allegations he had threatened to expose victims' personal details.
She noted too the man's "significant debt", and the impact that had on the question of the likelihood of him not appearing in court or reoffending while on bail.
The charges followed a six-month police investigation into allegations of forced labour and human trafficking.
Outside court, police said their investigations were ongoing and they anticipated further charges.
"We will allege this man actively procured young women from overseas with the sole intent of providing these women to men for sexual services," ACT Policing's Superintendent Scott Moller said.
The case returns to court on March 8.